How to Pay and File Claims for Health Care Flexible Spending Account Expenses

If you participate in the Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), you can pay for health care expenses incurred by:

  1. Using your BB&T Benefit Access Visa® Debit Card
  2. Paying out of pocket (by cash or check) and then submitting a claim for reimbursement

Remember: Always save the receipts for your Health Care FSA expenses.

Paying with the BB&T Benefit Access Visa® Debit Card

The BB&T Benefit Access Visa® Debit Card allows you to pay for your qualified health care expenses using a debit card that is linked to your Health Care FSA. As such, you do not have to pay for these expenses out of pocket and wait for a reimbursement check.

You need to save your itemized receipts as proof you are using the pre-tax funds for qualified expenses as determined by the IRS. In some cases, McGriff Insurance Services, the plan administrator, may send you a letter or an email requesting your itemized receipts. At that time, send your itemized receipts along with a copy of the letter to McGriff Insurance Services.

Paying out of pocket and then submitting a claim for reimbursement

If you pay for your health care expenses out of pocket (by cash or check), then you will need to file a claim with McGriff Insurance Services for reimbursement. Be sure to save all of your receipts, since you will need to submit them to McGriff Insurance Services when requesting reimbursement.

Claims should be processed through the Health Care Plan (medical, dental and vision), even if the expense will be applied toward the deductible. The Explanation of Benefits that you receive from the insurance company should be attached to the appropriate McGriff Insurance Services claim form, along with your receipts for out-of-pocket expenses, co-payments and deductibles.

All claims must include:

  1. The amount of the expense for which reimbursement is required
  2. The purpose of the expense
  3. The name of the person for whom the expense was incurred and the person's relationship to you
  4. The name of the person, organization or entity to whom the expense was paid
  5. A copy of the bill from the health care provider or any statement from an independent person indicating that the expense has been incurred and the date of such expense
  6. The amount (if any) paid by insurance

Your claim form and your receipts should be submitted online, faxed, or printed and mailed to SHDR:

Under IRS regulations, a claim for reimbursement must be filed, along with proof of payment, before a reimbursement can be made. Health Care FSA reimbursements will be limited to the annualized amount of contributions to your Health Care FSA. You have until March 31 of the next plan year (90 days after the plan year) to submit claims for reimbursement of eligible expenses incurred during the current plan year.

More information

For more information, review Flexible Spending Accounts on the Summary Plan Descriptions page.

No personal or confidential associate information is contained within

Information contained within applies to eligible associates residing in the United States, unless otherwise specified.

Not all subsidiaries and affiliates of BB&T Corporation participate in the benefit programs and policies presented within

Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more(opens in a new tab)