Leaves of Absence
BB&T aims to provide continuity of employment by granting leaves of absence for periods of personal illness/disability, family member illness and military duty.
What is a leave of absence?
As defined in the BB&T Leaves of Absence Policy, a leave of absence is a "time away from work (with or without pay) extending more than 10 consecutive workdays, and as permitted by BB&T Corporation for reasons including, but not limited to, a medically certified health condition, family care, military duty or personal needs."
Leave of absence types
There are four main types of leaves of absence:
- Personal Illness/Disability: If you have a serious health condition, you may need inpatient care or continuing treatment with a health care provider. A leave of absence for a personal illness or disability can give you the time you need to recover.
- Care of a Family Member: A leave of absence may be taken to care for a family member with a serious health condition, a newborn or seriously ill child.
- Military Duty: You may be eligible for a military leave of absence if you enlist, are inducted or recalled to active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Military Family Leave: You may be eligible for a leave of absence due to a qualifying exigency created by the active duty or call for active duty of your spouse, child or parent. You may also be eligible if you are caring for a current service member or veteran who has a serious injury or illness.
Requesting a leave of absence
All leaves of absence should be coordinated with your manager and Benefits Administration. If you anticipate the need for a leave of absence, please immediately notify your manager. After your manager is notified, contact Benefits Administration who will inform you of the leave process, as well as review the expectations of the process and your FMLA eligibility.
View the Leaves of Absence/FMLA page on BBTBenefits.com for links to packets that contain necessary information and forms needed for Benefits Administration to process a leave of absence request.
- Leaves of Absence/FMLA page on BBTBenefits.com
- EXCELLENCE Associate Handbook
- Leaves of Absence Policy from the Human Systems Policy Library found by going to InSite > Policy Point > Libraries > Human Systems > HS 7003 Leaves of Absence Policy
If you have any questions, please contact the Human Systems Service Center at 1-800-716-2455, option 3.
No personal or confidential associate information is contained within BBTBenefits.com.
Information contained within BBTBenefits.com applies to eligible associates residing in the United States, unless otherwise specified.
Not all subsidiaries and affiliates of BB&T Corporation participate in the benefit programs and policies presented within BBTBenefits.com.
Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more(opens in a new tab)