Get the latest facts on your benefits. Read the FACTS.
Flexible. Accessible. Consistent. Tailored. Simple.
Retiring from BB&T
Are you preparing to retire in the near future? Or perhaps you're getting to a point in life where you're beginning to think seriously about it. Either way, it's important to understand the retirement process at BB&T so you can seamlessly transition from Active to Retiree status.
To retire from BB&T, first you must complete your retirement application. Then, you can explore the benefits available to you as a BB&T retiree.
Your Retirement Application
When you make the decision to retire, follow the steps below to complete your retirement application:
- Notify your manager of your intent to retire.
- Notify Benefits Administration of your intent to retire 45 to 60 days prior to your intended retirement date. To notify Benefits Administration, call the Human Systems Service Center at 800-716-2455, option 1. You will complete a retirement application over the phone. You will need the following information to complete your application:
- Date of retirement
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- If you are married, your spouse's full name, date of birth and Social Security number
Benefits Administration will send you information regarding your upcoming retirement.
- Follow up with your manager to ensure that your status change to a Retiree is implemented through Workday.
BB&T's retirement benefits are designed to help you meet your unique set of goals. Once you retire, you can reap the rewards of BB&T's programs.
BB&T Corporation Pension Plan: If you are eligible for pension benefits from the BB&T Corporation Pension Plan, you will receive a pension packet, including your personalized pension benefit calculation, from Benefits Administration within 30 days of your retirement date.
BB&T Corporation 401(k) Savings Plan: When you retire, you have the option to leave your account in the plan as long as your balance is at least $5,000 or withdraw your account balance or roll it over to another plan or financial institution. Learn more about the plan.
In addition to these retirement programs, retirees can also take advantage of the following benefits:
- BB&T Retiree Term Life Insurance with coverage of one-half, one or two times your ending Benefits Annual Rate.
- BB&T Medical, Dental and Vision Program Coverage through COBRA for a limited 18-month period after retiring. Retirees automatically receive a COBRA enrollment form from Stanley, Hunt, Dupree & Rhine, BB&T's COBRA administration, for continuation of dental and vision benefits 2 to 3 weeks after their status changes from Active to Retiree.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Dependent Life Insurance Coverage ends at your retirement. However, you can opt to convert them to individual policies. Call Benefits Administration at 800-716-2455, option 1, within 31 days after your retirement date for more information.
- LifeForce participation is open to BB&T retirees; however, retirees are responsible for the costs of appointments and lab panels. Contact Peak Health at 252-237-5090 to schedule an appointment as a retiree. If you do not contact Peak Health at the time of your retirement, you will be removed from the program.
More Information and Questions
For more information about retiring from BB&T, visit Retiring from BB&T. If you have any questions about retiring from BB&T or BB&T's retirement programs, please contact the Human Systems Service Center at 800-716-2455, option 1, to speak with a trained benefits representative.
We want your feedback! Was this article beneficial? Do you need more information? Please contact Compensation & Benefits Communication Administration at CommunicationAdministration@BBandT.com.